- Install Instructions
- Equipment Setup Instructions
- Running Seemonkey Instructions
- Layout Editor Tool
- See also FAQ
How To & Troubleshooting
- How do I upgrade the software?
- How do I renew my commercial license?
- How do I save new layouts to my computer?
- I saved the overlay files to my computer, but they don't show up in Seemonkey
- Seemonkey does not start -or- Seemonkey starts, but there is an error and it immediately quits
- Seemonkey starts, but then freezes at the "Starting program" screen
- Seemonkey takes pictures, but then freezes (or: Seemonkey works for a while, then freezes after taking a picture)
- Seemonkey gets minimized to the taskbar during printing
- Can't open the license.key file
- No cameras were found
- Only 24-bit or 32-bit surfaces can be smoothly scaled
- How do I change the welcome text?
- How do I do an offline license install (if I don't have internet access)?
- How do I renew a commercial license?
How do I upgrade the software?
Just download the latest version of the software and install normally. It will overwrite the old version with the newer one, but will leave your licenses and layouts in place.
How do I renew my commercial license?
- Log in to your account using the Member Login panel to the left.
- Click on the "Pricing" tab on the left
- Click on "Buy Now"
- Continue through the checkout process to buy a commercial license
- The new license will be added to your account & will extend your old one
How do I save new layouts to my computer?
You can save new layouts to your computer in your "My Documents" folder.
- Open "My Documents"
- If it doesn't exist already, create a folder called "SeeMonkey Layouts"
- Save both the .layout and the .png files into the "SeeMonkey Layouts" folder
- Run the Seemonkey software
- Press escape to get to the menu
- Go down to the "Layouts" item and press enter
- You should see your layout appear in the list
I saved the overlay files to my computer, but they don't show up in Seemonkey
When saving the files on Windows Vista, sometimes the operating system (ie. Vista) hides the files. Even though they are on the computer, neither you nor the Seemonkey program can access them. To get around this, download & save the files to your desktop, then copy the files to the "C:\Program Files\Seemonkey\layouts" folder.
Seemonkey does not start -or- Seemonkey starts, but there is an error and it immediately quits
There are many reasons Seemonkey may not be able to start. To diagnose the problem, please send us the log file. To do this:
Seemonkey starts, but then freezes at the "Starting program" screen
This can be caused by a full memory card in the camera. Please make sure the card is not full.
Seemonkey takes pictures, but then freezes (or: Seemonkey works for a while, then freezes after taking a picture)
This can be caused by faulty memory cards. Please try a different memory card.
NOTE: If you bought a memory card off ebay, there is a strong likelyhood that the card is fake. Many "8GB" cards sold on ebay are actually 1GB or 2GB cards that have been hacked to look like 8GB. They will show 8GB in Windows, and will appear to have enough space. But when you fill up their true capacity (ie. 1GB), then all other pictures will fail. This can cause Seemonkey to freeze, since in reality the memory card has no more room and is causing errors. Double check that your memory card truly can store as much as it says it can.
Seemonkey gets minimized to the taskbar during printing
Sometimes during printing, Seemonkey will be minimized to the taskbar: This can be caused by the printer window that popups up whenever something is printed: To fix this, you should disable the printer popup window. For Canon printers, you can go to the "Option" menu, and make sure that "Enable Status Monitor" is not checked. Then click on Seemonkey in the taskbar to restore the Seemonkey window. From now on, the printer popup should not show, and Seemonkey will remain visible during printing.
Can't open the license.key file
If you see this screen: It means that the program could not find the "license.key" in the "C:\Program Files\Seemonkey" folder. Please make sure that the file exists. If it does not, please view the Program Instructions.
No cameras were found
If you see this screen: It means that the program could not find any attached Canon cameras.
Some things to check:
- If you have one of the older Canon cameras, make sure you have drivers installed for your camera. If you connect the camera, then you should be able to open Windows Explorer and see the camera listed under "My Computer".
- Make sure the camera is connected by USB cable to the laptop.
- Make sure the camera is in "Playback" mode, not "Capture" mode. Playback mode is when you view your pictures, whereas Capture mode is when you can take pictures with the camera. If the camera is in "Playback" mode when you first turn it on, the lens will not move.
- Make sure the camera is turned on and that the batteries have not run out.
Only 24-bit or 32-bit surfaces can be smoothly scaled
If you get this error:
Only 24-bit or 32-bit surfaces can be smoothly scaled
Then you need to change the display settings for your screen.
- Quit Seemonkey
- Right click on the desktop
- Click "Properties"
- Click the "Settings" tab on the upper-right
- For "Color Quality", choose either 24-bit or 32-bit.
- Click the "Ok" button
- Restart Seemonkey
How do I change the welcome text?
For commercial-licenses you can change the welcome text. We are working to make this process easier, but for the time being you can follow the directions below:
- Open Notepad. If you're on Windows Vista or 7, you'll need to right-click & choose "Run as administrator"
- Click File, then Open
- Open the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Seemonkey\settings.config"
- Find the line that looks like this:
- Change that to be like this:
customize_welcome_text = Welcome to Bob's Photobooth!
- If you want multiple lines, you can do this:
customize_welcome_text = Welcome to Bob's Photobooth! Press the button to continue.Just make sure there are spaces or tabs in front of the second line.
- Save the file. If you cannot save, you may not be running Notepad in Administrator mode. Close it, make sure to use the right-click instructions from the first step above, then repeat the rest of the steps.
How do I do an offline license install (if I don't have internet access)?
Normally, to install a new (or renewed) license you have to have internet access on the computer that will be running the software (the "booth computer"). You cannot simply copy the program from one computer to another, since the licenses are computer-specific.
NOTE: Even if the photobooth computer does not have internet access, you'll still need access to some computer with internet access.
To install or renew a license on a computer that does not have internet access:
- If your license has expired, use another computer to renew your license at http://www.seemonkey.net/.
- Make sure the booth computer has the latest version of the software. If needed, you can download the installer to a USB drive and copy it to the booth computer, then install it there.
- Go to "C:\Program Files\Seemonkey\" (or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Seemonkey\") and run the "create_offline_license_request.exe" program. If you're on Vista or 7, you may need to right click the file and choose "Run as administrator"
- This should create a file called "offline_license_request.txt" in that folder. Copy this file to a USB drive.
- On a separate computer with internet access, email the "offline_license_request.txt" file as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, and make sure to include the email address you use for your license.
- We'll email you a license generated for the booth computer.
- Copy the "license.key" file to USB drive.
- On the booth computer, copy the "license.key" file from the USB drive to the "C:\Program Files\Seemonkey\" (or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Seemonkey\") folder.
- Now start the Seemonkey software and it should start up normally.
How do I renew a commercial license?
When your commercial license expires, you must purchase a new one to continue using the software. NOTE: Personal licenses do not expire.
If your license has already expired, you'll see a warning about the expiration the next time you run the software, then it'll ask if you want to use Demo mode or Enter your license info.
- To renew your license, go to http://www.seemonkey.net/ and login using your email & password.
- Click on the "Buy" button and purchase a commercial license. It'll be added to your account.
- When the purchase is done, startup the software on your PC.
- Choose "Enter license info" and enter your email & password.
- The new lincense will be downloaded to your PC and you can continue using the software.
If your license has not yet expired but you want to renew early:
- Open My Computer and go to "C:\Program Files\Seemonkey" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Seemonkey".
- Find the "license.key" file and rename it to "license old.key". Or, you can just delete this file.
- Now follow the above instructions for renewing your license.